Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am on social security disability benefits. I have been off

of work since 2013. I...
I am on social security disability benefits. I have been off of work since 2013. I received long term disability from my employer for which I had to repay them for the 3 years that I received pay. My employer took out the necessary taxes. When I received my back pay I then had to repay my employer. Should I get the taxes paid returned to me since social security is tax free?
JA: The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I am aware of
11/29/2017
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and would be glad to help you.
So, I'm assuming this is more than $3,000. If so, you can use Internal Revenue Code section 1341. This allows you to calculate the amount of tax you paid on the income you needed to repay and then claim a credit for it. It's known as the claim of right doctrine. You tax software should help you calculate the amount due. It's not an easy calculation so I do recommend using software.
I hope that helped! If you need anything clarified, let me know. If not, please leave a rating! Thanks!
Carter McBride
Carter McBride
Carter McBride