Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I want to discuss with someone the best tax strategies for…

Customer Question
I want to discuss...

I want to discuss with someone the best tax strategies for my income

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

So, just started a job making about 100K. I want to leverage my benefits to get the best possible right offs. So, commuter, 401k or Roth Ira options, donations, special savings etc.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Just want to have a better idea of the right off possibilities

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
11/28/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

I woudl start with estimating your expected tax liability.
So we would have the level from which we would start compare and measure your saving options.

If your are single - standard deductions - no dependents - with gross income $100k - all from wages -

Your estimated federal income tax liability woudl be ~$18k - that is based on CURRENT law.

The issue is that in a few weeks a new tax law is expected - and it is hard to predict what it will be - but likely your estimated tax liability will be a little less.

Please elaborate and we will continue discussion.

i normally file single no dependants....wht would be some write offs...im on the train typing...sorry for strange spelling. ....

First of all - you may make 401k plan contribution - and that will defer your income tax liability till the time you eventually will start distributions from the plan.

In 2017 you may contribute $18,000 - assuming you are less than 50.

So if you make the maximum contribution - your estimated tax liability would be ~$13600

That is mainly because you will be in lower tax bracket.

You still may make Roth IRA contribution - that will potentially allow you to avoid tax liability on future earning - but will NOT have any immediate tax benefits.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor