Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Turning 65 next year in July. In looking over my earnings…

Customer Question
Turning 65 next year...

Turning 65 next year in July. In looking over my earnings statement from SSA. I see that six years of working are missing. How can I request this information from IRS.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Missing years from 3 years from 8-'s and 3 years from 90s.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Looking for my paper work to give you the correct years now.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
11/28/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

That information is generally not easily available from the IRS.

However - all information about your income reported to the IRS is stored in your IMF - Individual Master File.

The only way to obtain so old information - is to get access to your IMF.

That will take some time and effort.

Unfortunately - that will not be available online - and most likely - you will need a local CPA to decode information.

In additional - it will take more than a month to get that information from the IRS.

.

You still may obtain older information from the IRS - but most likely will need a professional help. You may find here some detailed information about requesting and decoding the Individual Master File (IMF) -

http://www.famguardian.org/TaxFreedom/Instructions/0.8ObtAndAnalyzingIMF.htm

.That is the only way to get older information from the IRS system.

The following IRS documents provide some additional information on the IRS master file:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pia/imf_pia.pdf

http://www.irs.gov/irm/part3/irm_03-013-005-cont01.html

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pia/pmf-pia.pdf

.

Information about your tax account including informational tax returns (W2, 1099 s and similar forms) are stored in electronic versions (not actual copies) - so you need to contact a local CPA to help you decoding that information.

Sorry - there is no simple solution.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor