Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have an employee who is 66 and usually will have no

Customer Question
I have an employee...

I have an employee who is 66 and usually will have no federal withholding coming out of his check.. However he has had more hours and it's being deducted. However, he wants to know why it's not consistent

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Ok, perfect! Thank you so much! he clamed Married -1 on his w-4

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
11/28/2017
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 4 months ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. The withholding is based on a formula (chart). It essentially assumes that you will make the same amount each pay period. So in the weeks where there are more hours, there is some withholding as a result of the higher projection.

Are you preparing the payroll? If he wants to reduce the withholding, he should completed another W-4 form with a higher number of allowances.

See and he is part time! His paychecks are never the same.. He just doesn't want to owe anything. His W-4 now is Married-1
I just didn't know if it had anything to do with his age and making over a certain threshold,.

He has to do with how much he is making during the pay period. I am not sure what his other sources of income are so it is hard to say what his tax liability would be. The withholding will be applied to any taxes that are owed.

Social Security he collects a little over 1300

Does his wife collect any? Are there any pensions or other income? On average how much is earned on this part time job?

his wife is an aide at the school. He earns anywhere from(###) ###-####

Is this a month?

I just don't know how to answer his question on why is federal withholding varies

It assumes that you will make the same amount for each pay period. So in the month that you earned $2,100 a month, the withholding is based on the assumption that $2,100 will be made each month.

So on the months where he only earns $400, it assumes that he will only earn about $4800 for the year, so there will not be any withholding.

Ok, so it will vary every month just because of the type of work he does
His paycheck is not consistent

It will vary each month based on the total compensation. So when there is higher compensation there is the chance that there will be some withholding.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor