Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have sold a home we built on an adjoining lot that

Customer Question
I have sold a...

I have sold a home we built on an adjoining lot that previously contained a garage carriage house. Can I get a deduction from the sale proceeds for the cost of building an equivalent structure on our property?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

We sold a house on an adjoining lot to our principal residence this year. The lot contained a garage - carriage house we used. We now need to build a new garage - carriage house on our remaining property. Is this deductible as a part of the costs we are reporting as capital gain? Jim R.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
11/27/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 4 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Happy Holidays!! Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** am reading over your inquiry. I will respond to you shortly.

Q: Is this deductible as a part of the costs we are reporting as capital gain?

A: In brief, the answer is no. The building of the new structures is a separate matter from the capital gains. If you have incurred a gain on the sale of the home, that gain would have to be reported. As this property is personal-use property, building another property, like-kind or otherwise will not eliminate or reduce the gains. Most people think they have incurred a gain, when they actually have not. In order to determine if you incurred a gain, you start with the cost basis of the property (purchase price or cost to build, plus improvements). If the home was sold for more than the cost basis, you incurred a gain. For less than the cost basis, you have incurred a loss. The sale is reported on the Schedule D and the Form 8949. If you find that you have actually incurred a gain, again, you are not able to reduce it because you will build new structures.

----------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant