Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Got a call stating I was being sued by irs for tax fraud…

Got a call stating...

Got a call stating I was being sued by irs for tax fraud while man was online I called local police with the number they gave me to call police told me it was a scam so I didn't listen to all he said now I don't know if it was real or not he said I got a letter I don't recollect having any letter and told me I owed 7500 dollars how do I find out and how do I resolve it if it is true after telling me how much I owe he said are you going to run please advise me

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I am n elder person who lives alone i don't know much about this stuff i am just going by what police dept said

11/27/2017
Fred Rook
Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can help you. Just so you know the IRS will not call you or email you to advise you of an amount due, so if you received either, it is a scam and do not respond. If you received any correspondence from the IRS and you need to determine if the notice is real, call the individual tax help number for the IRS, which is(###) ###-#### DO NOT call the number on the notice you received!! If you just wanted to make sure you are current with the IRS, you can call the number I gave you as well. Please let me know if this answers your question, or if you have any additional follow up questions for me. Thanks!

i tried to call i just get recording and don't know what buttons to push feeling frustrated i can't get to anyone human to talk to that is why i am contacting you in hopes that you would have an answer

There are a lot of options I know. You have to hit 1 for English and then hit 1 which is, among other things, account status. This is the easiest way to confirm with the IRS that you are in good standing.

people tell me i would have to sign for this kind of letter is that true

Yes. Everything that you have said thus far tells me that this is a scam.

thank you i will try again to get through to irs is there ever anyone human that answer the caller kept saying this is federal
are you still there waiting for reply

Yes, I am here. Call wait times can sometimes be very long. While this is almost certainly a scam, if speaking to the IRS and confirming that this is in fact a scam and that you are current with the IRS, it's probably worth waiting.

I hit send too fast! I meant to say if speaking to the IRS gives you peace of mind, it's worth it to wait.

when they say this is federal what do they mean?
what do they mean when they say this is federal?

This is when you are on the phone with the IRS? This is making reference to your federal taxes, unless there is some other context that this is being used in.

Fred Rook
Fred Rook
Fred Rook