Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am a 100% disabled vet, who has an income tax lien going…

Customer Question
I am a 100%...

I am a 100% disabled vet, who has an income tax lien going back some yrs ago when NJ was advertizing amnasty for taxes. I was told being a 100% disabled I would not be on a collection list. Is the accurate.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I am buying a home in NJ thru the veterans program

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
11/27/2017
Tax Professional: Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 4 months ago
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA.

To answer your questions its a yes and a no.

As a point of law, if everyone who was disabled knew the state or the IRS would not collect past due taxes from them, then that person wouldn't have any reason to pay their taxes. So, they still do collect past due taxes even from disabled people.

However, if the lien is pretty old, NJ may grant a lien release due to the age of the debt and being a 100% disabled vet. Your best bet is to call New Jersey at(###) ###-####and request a lien release if you want to get the lien released. If they do make any other collection efforts, then you can give them a call and provide your details and typically they will then halt collection activities depending on your level of income.

Just wanted to circle back and check if you had any other questions. If your question has been answered, please leave a rating! Thanks.

Carter McBride
Carter McBride