Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I purchased a high value item and was charged an excessive…

Customer Question
I purchased a high...

I purchased a high value item and was charged an excessive amount of sales tax. I was charged 8.1%, which is the Tucson City rate, however I do not live in the city. I live in Pima county where the sales tax is 6.1% I was overcharged by $230. I would like a refund of that amount

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

The order number was###-##-####The item purchased was a set of diamond stud earrings

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
11/27/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Taxes in Arizona are origin-based, meaning the Arizona sales tax rate is based, or determined from, the location where a sale originates.

...

The Arizona transaction privilege tax (TPT) is commonly referred to as a sales tax; however, the tax is on the privilege of doing business in Arizona and is not a true sales tax. Although TPT is usually passed on to the consumer, it is actually a tax on the vendor. TPT is applied to entities engaged in certain business classifications, including retail sales.

...

So, again, I'm so sorry to be the messenger here, but this tax is a tax on the seller, so will flow through to the buyer based on where the purchase was made.

...

You can read more about this from the AZ dept of Revenue, here:

...

http://The Arizona transaction privilege tax (TPT) is commonly referred to as a sales tax; however, the tax is on the privilege of doing business in Arizona and is not a true sales tax. Although TPT is usually passed on to the consumer, it is actually a tax on the vendor. TPT is applied to entities engaged in certain business classifications, including retail sales.