Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

This is a question for a tax attorney in the U.S., or a CPA.

Customer Question
I received a notice CP2000...
This is a question for a tax attorney in the U.S., or a CPA. I received a notice CP2000 from the IRS, stating that I owed taxes on disbursements from a 529 college plan and other income. I engaged a licensed CPA to review this, and she has prepared an amended tax return for that year. I provided her documentation around the 529 disbursements (plan statements and receipts showing all qualified expenses), as well as documents around the other income.I requested extra time from the IRS and they sent me a letter back approving of the extension. In their letter, they ask for a response by 11/29. They say "Please send your signed consent or explanation by 11/29."My CPA says filing the amended return is sufficient. Do I also have to send a letter to the IRS explaining, or simply send the amended return? Do I need to send it via certified mail? Thank you.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
11/25/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 5 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The amended return should suffice because of the explanation in Part III on Form 1040X, but if you want to include a short note with Form 1040X, that is your choice. Also include a copy of the CP2000 with the amended return.

ALWAYS use certified mail, return receipt requested, when mailing ANYTHING to the IRS. This will provide proof that you mailed in a timely manner.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Hello Barbara, thank you for the assistance. I will mail the amended return tomorrow (11/27). It is due 11/29, so I will send as fast as possible.The notice I got from the IRS specified a specific individual "Office of G Kilkenny." Should I fax the explanation and a short note indicating an amended return has been filed and postmarked?Thank you

Better yet if you have a fax number. No need to mail. Keep your proof of fax transmission.

Include a short note to G. Kilkenny stating that you are attaching a copy of your amended return as well as the CP2000.

Please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you.

Thank you.

Thank you. My CPA indicated that amended returns cannot be filed electronically (paper ONLY). Is a fax an exception to this?
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 4 months ago

Faxing is not the same as electronically filing.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent