Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Have sent in many OR tax forms, bur when making an

Customer Question
Have sent in many...

Have sent in many OR tax forms, bur when making an appeal,why doesnt the OR reps use my itemized deductions instead of Std deducs??? It is obvious the tax will be diff, But the OR reps never use my itemized deductions when correcting the form..and never say why<<??? Gary.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Did talk to an auditor in tn the Bend office but couldnt give me an answer at the moment. All I receive from the State is a form demanding payment or I go to hell immediatly... The last few years I have submitted returns using my itemized deducs...The reason I do this is because as an old person, OR allows me to add back the 71/2% the Feds remove from my Medical items...to decrease my exempton amt..

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
11/24/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi My name's Lane.

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, on three continents, since 1986.

...

It almost sounds like you just need to be persistent and make them connect the dots for you ... explain why the system is kicking out this automated message (which is what it is).

...

Without knowing more, let me lay a foundation as to what could be causing this. First, (may be stating the obvious as part of this covers what you've already said ... but just to lay it out):

...

Your net Oregon itemized deductions are your:

• Total federal itemized deductions, plus
  • Your special Oregon medical deduction, (as you mention) minus
  • Oregon state income tax claimed as an itemized deduction.

In most cases, you'll use net Oregon itemized deductions if that amount is larger than your Oregon standard deduction. (the exception is married filing separately ... not allowed for that filing status)

...

Also, generally, you may claim your total itemized deductions shown on federal Schedule A, line 28 (with the adjustment mentioned above).

...

But there is an exception. If you itemize for Oregon only, fill out a separate Schedule A. You may claim itemized deductions for Oregon even if you could not on your federal return. You still use federal adjusted gross income to figure the Schedule A limitations.

...

(Could not doing this be the problem? Again, sometimes the computer system simply kicks out returns when the appropriate forms aren't filed - might not be a warm body involved here at all)

...

Finally, Oregon also has a long list of possible subtractions on the return, these would lower your taxable income. Here is a link to the Oregon page on all subtractions allowed:

http://www.oregon.gov/DOR/PERTAX/2009_piti/sub_main.shtml

...

i hie this information has helped ... but again, if it's none f these 'technicalities," then I think you need to send a certified letter making them reconcile what you've been told and the notice that kicked out. Making the statement that you disagree with the assessment (appealing) will stop the clock and give you some time to get too the bottom of this.

Written appeals must include:

• Name.
  • Address.
  • Phone number.
  • SSN/ITIN/FEIN (for corporations).
  • Tax year(s) involved.
  • An explanation of why you're appealing (appeals).
  • Which criteria you meet under OAR(###) ###-####(waivers).
  • New information you'd like us to consider.
  • Name and phone number of the person representing you, if applicable.

If you're appealing to us, you may be able to submit your written objection, conference request, or waiver appeal through Revenue Online.

Here's the site for doing this online: https://revenueonline.dor.oregon.gov/tap/_/

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

I hope you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness (as opposed to any good news/bad news content). Thank you!

...

But again, if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane

Hi, Lane here. ... I’m just checking back in to see how things are going. ... Did my answer help? … If so, I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work. … But if you need more on this please let me know … Lane