Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Canadian Personal tax expert. I was living common law since…

Canadian Personal tax expert. I was...
Canadian Personal tax expert.
I was living common law since 1989. Since 2011 we have been living in the same house but separate. She lives upstairs and I live in the basement. We are both retired, I am 71 and she is 75. We only both get the old age pension plus cpp. She gets $1000.00 and me $1386.00 per month. Neither of us could live alone on these figures. My question is because as singles we would get more pension, can we go back to 2011 and claim an error in filing and get back pensions?
11/24/2017
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

Please give me a few minutes to type my reply.

Sure.
I can’t afford another $69.00.
Are you having trouble getting the answer?

A common-law marriage in Canada (or in some states in the US) is just that - a marriage. Under a recent court ruling in B.C., common-law partners have the same fundamental rights as married couples after two years of cohabitation. In order to end this common-law marriage, there has to be a separation agreement. This can be written by yourselves, or by an attorney. It is effective on the date that you sign it.

So, unless you write one and back date it, it won't help you.

I hope this answers your questions. If you have any more, please let me know and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay. My son had an emergency that I had to attend to.

Oh, that is fine. I thought I had stumped you. We do have an agreement but is it worth submitting. Does cra go back for these items?

You are allowed to amend returns for any error. There is a statue of limitations for getting refunds from CRA. However, if this helps you get additional pension money, it may be worth it overall.

I have not heard back from you. Do you have any more questions? Is what I said clear?

Please don't forget to rate me, as this is how questions are closed.

Thanks! Have a great weekend!

taxmanrog
taxmanrog
taxmanrog