Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Yeah. Due to some setbacks, I fell behind on filing tax

Customer Question
Due to some setbacks...

Due to some setbacks, I fell behind on filing tax returns. I now want to get them all caught up. I don't owe, and I would have gotten refunds for each year. I'd like to get this all caught up but I am afraid I may have trouble gathering all of the statements and data needed to do all of these returns. I'm wondering what to do next.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Fell behind 5 years

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
11/23/2017
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 5 months ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with the questions. The statute for a refund would expire three years after the tax due date. So the 2013 return that is due on April 15th, 2014 would have an a statute that expired on April 2017. You may not get the refunds for 2012 and 2013.

One way to obtain the missing information would be to request a wage and income tax transcript from the IRS. Here is a link to the IRS webpage. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

ty

If this answered your questions I would appreciate if you would take a moment to rate my response. There should be stars located above the questions. This is the only way that I will receive credit for helping you today. If you have additional information or need clarification I would be happy to continue the conversation. Thank you.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor