Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My case finally settled and my lawyer requested I fill out a…

Customer Question
My case finally settled...

My case finally settled and my lawyer requested I fill out a W9 form Does this mean I will be taxed on this ands must include it when I file my 2017 taxes

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Case was settled in California and I now live in Idaho

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
11/23/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 5 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** am reading over your inquiry. I will respond to you shortly.

Happy Holidays!! Depending upon the type of settlement, the settlement amount may be taxable. In the event that the settlement is taxable, your tax I.D. number is ***** That is the purpose of the W-9, to obtain your tax I.D. number. To read more about taxation of settlements, refer to IRS Pub 4345 at the following link.

Link to Form 4345:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4345.pdf

---------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant