Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

In order to file taxes, how much income does my 20 year old…

Customer Question
In order to file...

In order to file taxes, how much income does my 20 year old grandson have made in 2017.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Our grandson who is 20 lived with us until August. He has worked for Safeway and currently he is employed at Best Buy in Vacaville, CA. Does he file income tax on his earnings for the year or should we claim him on our taxes?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Can't think of anything, just want to get the right answer to whether or not he should file taxes himself.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 4 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You can claim your grandson as a dependent if he was a full time student in 2017. If he was not and he earned at least $4050 you cannot claim him.

A dependent is unable to claim their own exemption, a tax return is necessary when their earned income is more than the standard deduction for a single taxpayer, which in 2017 is $6,350.

First you need to see if you can claim him based on his status as a student and his income.

Even if you can claim him , he would still be able to file but he would not use his personal exemption.

Please let me know if you need more information. If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4