Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Is the interest one pays on a personal loan a tax deduction?

Customer Question
Is the interest one...

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am in the process of taking a personal loan to pay for repairs on repairs to my apartment units. The interest I am paying each month - can I use that interest as a tax deduction on my taxes for next year?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
11/21/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 5 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Based on the information you provided, it appears that the personal loan is for repairs to your rental properties.

If that is the case, the interest would be deductible because it is incurred to produce rents.

See the following:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p527

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Also, here must be clear evidence of how the loan proceeds were used. It is wise not to commingle the loan funds with personal funds.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent