Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm getting social security benefits and had to go back to…

Customer Question
I'm getting social security...

I'm getting social security benefits and had to go back to work do to hardship, I got mixed up and I didn't know to report it, what do I do?

Accountant's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, I didn't know

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it, thanks..don't want to lose my benefits

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
11/21/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 5 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

You can get Social Security retirement benefits and work at the same time.

However, if you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, the SSA will reduce your benefit.

Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, they will not reduce your benefits no matter how much you earn.

The SSA will use the following earnings limits to reduce your benefits: If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, they will deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit.

For 2017 that limit is $16,920. For 2018 - $17,040.

Let me know if that answered your concern?

Do I report that I went back to work? It's been 10 months
I don't have $52

As long as your earning is below specified annual limit - no need to report to the SSA - but depending on your income - you might need to file the tax return.

If your earning is above the limit - you will need to tell the SSA and they will reduce your benefits.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney