Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I was awarded an ira during the divorce. We don’t have a…

Customer Question
I was awarded an...

I was awarded an ira during the divorce. We don’t have a quadro though. I want to withdraw an amount with out penalty once the transfer is made. Is that possible?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Currently the account is in my ex husbands name win a tradestation ira. They are saying I need to open an account with them to transfer the money but can’t tell me if I can withdraw money without penalty

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
11/21/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 8 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** am reading over your inquiry. I will respond to you shortly.

If you are not age 59-1/2 years old, the 10% early withdrawal penalty will apply. In addition, the withdrawn amount is going to be taxed as ordinary income to you. SEE BELOW:

----------------------------------

The transfer of all or part of your interest in a traditional IRA to your spouse or former spouse, under a decree of divorce or separate maintenance or a written instrument incident to the decree, is not considered a taxable transfer. As long as the receiving spouse maintains the funds in the IRA, neither spouse will pay income tax or penalty for early withdrawal.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/moving-ira-assets-under-divorce-decree.aspx

-----------------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

I was told there was a way to do it that allowed for me to withdraw and be taxed but not receive the penalty?

My thought is no, but I could be wrong. I will check into this and get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Hello again. I stand corrected. The 10% early withdrawal penalty will not apply as the IRA transfer was incident of a divorce. SEE BELOW:

----------------------------

Under IRS rule 72(t)(2)(C), the alternate payee of a qualified plan can withdraw funds pursuant to divorce without the 10% early withdrawal penalty, but ordinary income taxes will still need to be paid. For a spouse with little or no income in the first year of divorce, this can be a source of much-needed cash.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://familylawyermagazine.com/articles/retirement-accounts-in-divorce-four-common-questions/

--------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a positive rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting 3 or more stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Is qualified plan same as IRA, if it goes from his Ira to my Ira then I withdraw then this law should apply? Without a quadro?

No it is not, after I sent the information to you, I was reading more on the matter. I am still writing more to come. Hold tight.

There are different rules for QDRO related transfers and transfers incident to divorce. SEE BELOW:

------------------------------------

The major difference between a QDRO and a transfer incident to a divorce is that a transfer incident to a divorce does not allow for the receiving ex-spouse to receive the funds penalty-free if not rolled over into a receiving IRA. With a QDRO, although the funds are taxable to the receiving ex-spouse, there is no 10% penalty if the funds are withdrawn prior to his or her reaching age 59½. If the originating account is an IRA, the 10% early withdrawal penalty will apply in addition to ordinary income tax.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://financialducksinarow.com/9176/qdro-vs-transfer-incident-to-a-divorce/

Sorry for the confusion. I guess we both learned something here today. SMILE.

As there was no QDRO, the 10% early withdrawal penalty will apply as I initially thought.

Additional Info/Form 5329 Early Withdrawal Penalty Exceptions:

Qualified retirement plan distributions made to an alternate payee under a qualified domestic relations order (does not apply to IRAs).

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.taxslayer.com/support/218

If I take it out, I saw there was something about a possible 25% penalty if the Ira was less than 2 years old?

If you meet one of the general exceptions, you can make a withdrawal without incurring the 10% early withdrawal penalty. For the general exceptions, refer to the following link.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-tax-on-early-distributions

I will check on the matter of the 25% and get back to you on this.

What type of IRA is it? Traditional, ROTH, SIMPLE, etc.?