Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Received notice from IRS today that I owe $2,340 (2015) and…

Customer Question
Received notice from IRS...

Received notice from IRS today that I owe $2,340 (2015) and $1,560 (2016). Both returns were mailed to IRS on October 15, 2017. Is there anything I can do to reduce these ridiculous penalties?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Section 6699(a)(1) penalties; only one shareholder.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I’m aware.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
11/20/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 5 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Section 6699(a)(1) penalties are imposed on S-corporation which

--- fails to file such return at the time prescribed therefor (determined with regard to any extension of time for filing)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/6699

Please be aware - the penalty imposed by subsection (a) is assessed against the S corporation - not against you personally.

.

It is possible to abate such penalty base don reasonable cause.

Please be aware that in reality - the IRS abates only 10-15% of penalties - so you may want to have a local tax professional representing you with the IRS.

No shit. I already knew that. Does my wasted $$ spent on you guys give explanation of what constitutes “reasonable cause”? Is $195 per month per shareholder apply for both 2015 and 2016 tax years?

Please be aware that experts do not have access to your account...

If you have issue with payments - please direct these issued to the customer service.
If you are willing to continue conversation about tax related issues - please indicate clearly - and I will be glad to help you.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney