Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I just received a letter from the state of California

franchise tax board it says...
I just received a letter from the state of California franchise tax board it says I’ve been accessed a $200.50 penalty pursuant to section 19141 of the administration of franchise in income tax law for failure to file the annual statement by domestic stock corporation with the office of secretary of state I have no idea what this means can you help me
$250 fine. I’ve been in business almost 3 years and don’t ever remember sending in something like this
11/20/2017
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will be able to assist you today.

The Secretary of State imposes this penalty for failure to file the Statements of Information for the following types of business entities:

• C Corp
  • S Corp
  • LLC's

You are able to E-File - The required Statement of Information for most corporations can be submitted electronically and is generally processed in one business day. Statements submitted on paper should be directed to the Secretary of State’s office in Sacramento, either by mail or dropped off in person. Statements for limited liability companies and common interest developments must be submitted on paper, by mail or in person (drop off), at this time.

Only the Secretary of State can waive the penalty. FTB is only responsible for the collection of the penalty.

Here is a link to frequently asked questions and information on how to dispute the fee's:

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business-programs/business-entities/faqs/#delinquency

How to dispute a penalty assessed to a business entity.

A request to waive the penalty for failure to file the Statement of Information can be submitted in writing to the Secretary of State, Statement of Information Unit – Attention: Penalties, P.O. Box 944230, Sacramento, CA 94244–2300 or you may submit a request online at Email Penalty Waivers.

The waiver request must include an explanation of the reasonable cause or unusual circumstance supporting the business entity's failure to file the required statement timely. Per statute, failing to receive a reminder notice to file does not excuse an entity from filing the required statement.

If a current statement has not been filed, the waiver request must be accompanied by a completed statement and the applicable filing fee. Online services for submitting the required Statement of Information for all LLCs and for most corporations are available at http://bizfile.sos.ca.gov using a credit card (Visa or MasterCard only).

I would be happy to answer any follow up questions you may have.

At the conclusion of our conversation please take a moment to accept the answer by rating the answer with three stars or more.

A positive rating of five stars is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Chad EA, CFP ®
It look like I didn’t file this . We’ve been in business a couple years now and I don’t ever remember filing form like this.Is this form do every year and if so by what date

___

Here is a helpful link to save to your favorites.

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business-programs/business-entities/statements/

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®