Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My husband and I have lived in Cocoa Beach for twenty-nine…

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I have lived in Cocoa Beach for twenty-nine years and I've been Homesteaded. The property is in my name.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am 86 years old and my husband 94 years old. He has been my caretaker for the last several months. Should he survive me, could he still benefit from my Homestead exemption?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

The property is in my name alone.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
11/20/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 4 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

If your husband inherits the property on your passing he will need to file for homestead exemption himself. It is recommended that surviving spouses and other heirs who inherit property that they intend to use as their primary residence file for the homestead exemption in their own names to avoid confusion and unnecessary litigation.

The exemption would not pass automatically to him.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4