Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am a sales rep. for a Athletic Footwear company. I only…

Customer Question
I am a sales...

I am a sales rep. for a Athletic Footwear company. I only drive about 13,000 miles a year. All the cars I have had, I purchased new. I avoided leasing because in the past I was driving much more (20,000+ miles). Now that I don't drive so many miles, I am wondering about the tax advantages and disadvantages to leasing.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

In the past my accountant has always depreciated my car, but as I understand it you can only do that for a limited # of years.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
11/20/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 5 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

You are correct that tax deduction for leased cars are larger.

However - the actual leasing cost will be larger.

So when we are talking ONLY about tax benefits for leased cars - that woudl not be correct question.

You woudl not lease a car only because of tax benefits.

If you what to have newly cars and not to worry about selling it - may be leasing will be better option.

Additional tax benefits (larger deductions) will only reduce your after tax cost of leasing - but tax benefits themselves are not actual "benefits" ...

Some other issues to consider...

Most lease agreements have lower down payment requirements, you would pay less for the sales tax on a lease as well.

Leasing a car often has a lower monthly payment compared to car loans with the similar terms.

But in the long run - buying a car is almost always cheaper regardless of larger tax deductions for leased cars.

I was primarily interested in the tax deduction. So you are saying that a lease will give me a larger tax write off than the depreciation on buying a car, correct?
What do you mean when you say the actual leasing cost will be larger? Do you mean in the long run I will spend more leasing the car as opposed to buying it?
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor