Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How does one obtain a copy of last years tax information…

Customer Question
How does one obtain...

How does one obtain a copy of last years tax information filed on time. I lost all of the information I had, including my copies for future reference.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I filed my taxes through the AARP. I had been saving my copy in a special envelope. Now I cannot find the envelope and I need this information to seek help with HEAP in my state. I am receiving SSI.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
11/20/2017
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 5 months ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. There are a couple of ways to do this. You could submit form 4506 to request a copy of your tax return. There is a $57 fee that the IRS charges to obtain a copy. Another option that may work for you is to request a tax transcript. The transcript is free and contains a summary of the information that is reported on your tax return. Here is a link to the IRS website regarding requesting a transcript.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/how-to-get-a-transcript-or-copy-of-a-prior-year-tax-return

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor