Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I used the online version to file my 2016 tax return and I…

Good morning I...

Good morning I used the online version to file my 2016 tax return and I am not sure how I missed filing my wife's return. I now need to file a return for her and would like to know if I can add her to my return or if I need to start a complete new return? Thanks *****: What's the brand/model/Operating System (OS) of your computer?

I am using Windows 7

Accountant's Assistant: When did you purchase your computer? What troubleshooting have you tried?

The computer is working fine. I would like to know how to add my wife's tax return to my 2016 tax return that I filed earlier this year.

11/20/2017
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

What tax preparation software are you using?

You do not want to file a separate return for your wife.

You want to make an adjusting to your return adding your wife and her information.

There are two ways you can file an adjustment to your income tax return:

1) By Internet: You can make changes to your income tax return using the online My AccountService from the CRA. Once you are in My Account, you simply click on the Change My Returnoption and then enter and submit any changes to your most recent income tax return or returns from the previous two years. Once you select Submit, your changes will be sent to the CRA.

2) By Mail: You can complete and print a T1-Adjustment form and mail it into the CRA. If you choose to submit your adjustment request via mail you will need to include the receipts or supporting documents for the changes you wish to make & the supporting documents for your original claim (if applicable), in addition to the completed adjustment request.

See the following: https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/change-filed-tax-return-703

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Thanks. I have resolved the issue

Perfect!

Please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you.

Thank you.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.