Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have an non spousal inherited IRA and the company just…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have an non spousal inherited IRA and the company just liquidated the account and sent me a check. They said I had 180 days to let them know if I wanted to liquidate or roll over into an inherited IRA. Since I did not let them know they liquidated it and I am devasted because of the tax implications.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I will also lose my healthcare subsidy ( I will have to pay back 22 Thousand that I recd this year, because I recd the check for 145 Thousand.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/20/2017
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional replied 5 months ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello, I understand you have requested a second opinion.

Unfortunately, the company gave you notice and when they did not receive a response they disbursed the funds.

If the funds have been disbursed then you either have to pay the required taxes or disinherit/ disclaim the IRA distribution.

If the distribution is for $145,000 you would generally owe 28% tax if you are a single tax filer. This would result in approximately owing $40,600 in Federal tax.

___

This would leave you with approximately $105,000 left from the distribution. Would this be enough to cover your health care subsidies for one year?

Therefore your options are to disclaim the IRA distribution and pay no taxes

OR

Receive the distribution, pay the taxes and be with a lump sum of approximately $100,000.

I would be happy to discuss any follow up questions you may have!

I would be happy to answer any follow up questions you may have.

At the conclusion of our conversation please take a moment to accept the answer by rating the answer with three stars or more.

A positive rating of five stars is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®