Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

While moving I trashed some old returns, and when I realized…

Customer Question
While moving I trashed...

While moving I trashed some old returns , and when I realized and went to recover them they were gone

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Just concerned that my SS# ***** would be found ?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 8 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you. I am reviewing your question and will post my response momentarily.

Were they gone in the normal course of trash/garbage removal where everything was gone or were just your returns gone?

I was moving and bringing a variety of stuff to the street where they pick up but this was not a normal pick up , people come by and sort through the trash for usable things for them. This was just one of several bags I had taken down

Thank you for the additional information.

Hopefully, no one will use your personal information for fraudulent means.

To be safe, the following link contains the steps you should take immediately:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/what-to-do-ssn-stolen,news-18742.html

As you probably know, identity theft is a serious issue that has reached epidemic proportions, and it will be well worth your time and energy to be proactive.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb