Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How to apply for tax reduction due to Harvey?

Affected taxpayers in a federally declared disaster area have the option of claiming disaster-related casualty losses on their federal income tax return for either the year in which the event occurred, or the prior year.

Individuals may deduct personal property losses that are not covered by insurance or other reimbursements. You would use form 4684.

Read full interaction below »

How do I apply for tax reduction due to the Harvey flood? My home was flooded by Harvey and I am over 65 and want to apply for reduced taxes. I had to move out of the home while it is being repaired and the cost of repairs is exceeding $200,000.

11/20/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 5 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Under Texas law, taxing entities ,mainly cities, counties and school districts have the option to reassess property values immediately after a disaster. In Harvey’s case, some have and some haven’t. If you are specifically asking about property tax lowered, then tell me your county.

I am in Harris County in The Woodlands, Harris County and was flooded by Harvey. I have received recognition as a flooded area by FEMA.

Thank you for responding. I will see if Harris has anything specific to say about the property taxes but you can claim your loss on your federal return. You file the 4684 form and make sure to write across the top of your return HARVEY RELIEF so the IRS will process faster.

One moment while I check on your county.................................

I am requesting how to apply for a reduction in my tax bill as stated in the tax bill I recently received from Ann Bennett , the Harris County assessor in my tax bill just received

OK, Harris county has made the following information available about your situation.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/2017/09/26/239054/harris-county-property-values-will-be-based-on-post-harvey-appraisals/

You need to click on the above link and view the steps.

They used the previous value so you respond as shown in that link.

Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 5 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Different expert here, and please allow me to provide you with an answer to your specific question.

Harris County offers the following relief for Hurricane Harvey victims:

Property Taxes

· -

Q. What if I can’t pay my 2017 taxes in full before the deadline, due to damage and expenses incurred due to Hurricane Harvey?

The Tax Office offers a payment plan to disaster victims which allows you to make 4 equal payments without penalty and interest over a period of several months.

· -

Q. Will my 2018 property taxes be affected by damage to my property due to Hurricane Harvey?

The Harris County Appraisal District (HCAD) appraises property every year on January 1. Any recent flood damage to your home that is not repaired by January 1, 2018, may be reflected in next year’s value, which would subsequently affect your 2018 taxes.

· -

Q. How do I report my property damage to ensure my property is properly appraised for 2018?

You can report property damage due to Hurricane Harvey to the Harris County Appraisal District (HCAD) by one of the following methods:

Call(###) ###-####or email *****@******.*** and provide your:

Name

Address

Phone Number

Account number

the number of inches or feet of water you received

-or-

Download the upgraded HCAD app for free through the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store, to your iPhone 4 or an iPad 3 (or beyond).

The upgraded app additionally allows you to identify whether the damage was on the home or garage and provides an event damage report that lists options for the amount of water, an estimate of damage caused by a tornado or roof leaks and a section for fire damage. See www.hcad.org for additional information.

Here is the Harris County link that contains Hurricane Harvey Taxpayer Resources: https://www.hctax.net/Weather/harveyResources

The above information is from the Harris County Tax Assessor, ***** ***** Bennett.

You will want to report the damage you suffered so your property is assessed correctly for 2018, which can result in lowering your 2018 property tax bill.

Harris County is also offering a payment plan without penalty and interest if you cannot pay your property taxes in full.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent