Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My acct. told me I could not file back taxs for 2010-2013…

Customer Question
My acct. told me...

My acct. told me I could not file back taxs for 2010-2013 unless I get a letter from my DR. saying I was not able to do so at that time sick or ??/ Is that true ?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

She said she can"t file those years with out the Dr

s letter. I retired in2010 but was hospitalized for corrected Knee surgery. and had nothing but pain since also going to pain management for leg ,back pain also my son was sick and we found out he had cancer No help for me with my Dr. because of pain med problem then He told me i had cancer I did not care about any thing els so I did not file taxs

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I know of as she has been filing my taxs for years

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
11/20/2017
Tax Professional: Shan-Nel Simmons, Enrolled Agent replied 5 months ago
Shan-Nel Simmons
Shan-Nel Simmons, Enrolled Agent

What your account might be trying to do is provide you reasonable cause with the doctor's note to avoid penalties being added to any taxes you may owe. However your accountant should not have said she would not file your return without the doctor's note.

If you need help with filing your returns, let me know. Otherwise, if you decide to state with your accountant, ask your accountant is she trying to prevent penalties being assessed to the returns.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your day!

Shan-Nel Simmons
Shan-Nel Simmons
Shan-Nel Simmons, Enrolled Agent