Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Resend your answer

Customer Question
Please resend your answer....
Please resend your answer.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/19/2017
Tax Professional: Shan-Nel Simmons, Enrolled Agent replied 8 months ago
Shan-Nel Simmons
Shan-Nel Simmons, Enrolled Agent

.

Here is an example:

Gain, Similar Assets, No Boot Involved:

A company trades equipment with a FV of $12,000 (cost, $11,000; accumulated depreciation, $4,000) for similar equipment.
FV BV Gain (loss)
Equipment given $12,000 $7,000 $5,000
Equipment received

Since similar assets have been traded, the earnings process is not considered complete and no gain is recognized. The asset received is debited at the book value (not fair value) of the asset given. The journal entry is:

[Debit]. Equipment = 7,000 (BV given)
[Debit]. Accumulated depreciation = 4,000
[Credit]. Equipment = 11,000

The unrecognized gain of $5,000 will be deferred; it will be recognized as the equipment received is depreciated (lower depreciation results than if FV had been used) and/or sold or disposed of in a subsequent transaction.

19 Nov 2017, 5:53 PM

Offer Premium Service

.