Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My son's baby mother allowing her mother to fill taxes for…

Customer Question
My son's baby mother...

My son's baby mother allowing her mother to fill taxes for his son and she didn't contribute any thing to his care and lives eleswhere.the child mother is on welfare and my son pays child support how is this fair

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Can I block her from filling for him

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
11/19/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 5 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Are you saying that she is filing and taking the child as a dependent on her return? (and getting the benefit of that?)

...

If so, then all your son has to do is file and claim the child. Her return will be rejected, IRS will ask both to prove their qualification to take the dependency exemption and associalted credits.

...

In general, to be a taxpayer’s qualifying child, a person must satisfy four tests:

...

š Relationship – the taxpayer’s child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or stepsibling, or a descendant of one of these.

..

š Residence – has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, in certain cases, for children of divorced or separated parents, kidnapped children, temporary absences, and for children who were born or died during the year.

...

š Age – must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.

...

š Support – did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support for the year.

...

See this: https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/qualifying-child-rules

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS