Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My live in girlfriend of nine years is haveing her 88 year…

Customer Question
My live in girlfriend...

My live in girlfriend of nine years is haveing her 88 year old mother move in with us so she can care for her full time ( she has Alzheimer's) I will be providing the sole income for all 3 of us. In January when my boss renews my tax paperwork, can I claim them both as dependants for the 2018 tax year?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

It's my house, only in my name.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
11/18/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 7 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The rules to claim your girlfriend and her mom are:

• Do they live with you? Your relative must live at your residence all year or be on the list of “relatives who do not live with you” in Publication 501. About 30 types of relatives are on this list.
  • Do they make less than $4,050 in 2017? Your relative cannot have a gross income of more than $4,050 in 2017 and be claimed by you as a dependent.
  • Do you financially support them? You must provide more than half of your relative’s total support each year.
  • Are you the only person claiming them? This means you can’t claim the same person twice, once as a qualifying relative and again as a qualifying child. It also means you can’t claim a relative—say a cousin—if someone else, such as his parents, also claim him.

Ignore the reference to "relative." That is the terminology that the IRS uses.

The following link contains additional information regarding claiming dependents:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/rules-for-claiming-a-dependent-on-your-tax-return/L8LODbx94

If you meet the requirements, you can include your girlfriend and her mother as exemptions when renewing your paperwork for your employer.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions/concerns. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent