Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What are the taxes rates 2016 for term gains in irrevocable…

What are the taxes...

What are the taxes rates 2016 for long term gains in irrevocable trusts

Accountant's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Michigan

Accountant's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have a irrevocable trust that was written 1988 by my husband who died in 1992. I am co-trusted with a bank, trust department

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am 81 years old and what the trust co-trustee to have more cash in the trust and more bonds, but the trust would have to pay federal tax on long term gains, so that is why i want to know the tax rates.

11/18/2017
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I will be able to assist you today.

For 2017 if taxable income in a trust exceeds $12,500 the effective tax rate would be 20%.

For income between $0 and $2,500 the long term capital gains rate is 0%

If the irrevocable trust adjusted gross income is between $2,500 and $12,500 the effective long term capital gains tax would be 15%

Therefore the long term capital gains rates are 0%, 15% or 20% depending on the adjusted gross income of the trust

I would be happy to answer any follow up questions you may have.

___

At the conclusion of our conversation please take a moment to accept the answer by rating the answer with three stars or more.

___

A positive rating of five stars is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the rating.

If you do have any further questions please let me know!

Have a great day

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, Enrolled Agent