Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

We just had my father in law with dementia move in with us…

Customer Question
We just had my...

We just had my father in law with dementia move in with us after the death of my mother in law. He is eligible for medicaid and has minimal income, which is currently used for his mortgage. However, the house will be going through foreclosure.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Question: Pros and Cons of placing his as a dependent on our taxes. Also what would doing so have on the aid he is receiving such as EBT, Medicaid and adult day care.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
11/18/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 5 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

For you - that will be an advantage because larger deductions will lead to lower tax liability.

In additional to the dependency exemption - you will be able to claim medical expenses and possible some other deductions.

For him - being your dependent means that he is getting more than 50% support from you - and as long as he are receiving some mean tested benefits - your support is counted as his income.

Depending on value of that support he is getting from you - some benefits could be affected.

After aid the primary support is housing and adult care expenses not covered by Forsyth County aid (at this time the aid has not kicked in however we are on a waiting list and expect the aid in 2018.
Medical expenses are medicaid / medicare covered. This is paid via his social security check.
far it seems that it may be best for us NOT to include as a dependent although he is living in our home.

The issue is not whether you choose to claim your father in law as a dependent or not...

The issue is - what is teh monetary value of support you provide?
That value includes all types of support - dwelling, food, help with some of his expenses, transportation, etc.

We need to estimate that value.

Then - for mean tested benefits - you probably file on behalf of your father in law - THAT support should be reported.

For tax purposes - we also use that support - but only to determine if you provided more than a half of his support. If yes - you provided more than a half of his support for the tax year - you may claim him as a dependent.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor