Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is computer equipment conviscated by law enforcement

officials tax deductible JA: The Accountant...
Is computer equipment conviscated by law enforcement officials tax deductible
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My husband was arrested & all computer equipment was taken along with a new iPhone as evidence
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I have enquired from the solicitor & Sheriff but they will not release the quipment
11/18/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

The equipment is not deducted as a loss unfortunately. The equipment could only be deducted if there was a theft or for the use in business.

There is no statute under tax law that allows a loss if property is confiscated.

I wish I could tell you differently.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
They were stolen, in a way, by the police. But still no huh? That was an $800 iPhone that was just purchased $ bacause of his arrest, I paying for a phone I can’t use because the police have it. Seems like they should pay for it or wipe it clean & return it to me

I understand how you feel about the action but they would not fit the stolen situation. The issue of getting the property back would be legal but I can say no to any deduction.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thank you for your time. I’ve been screwed again

You are most welcome.

I sincerely ***** ***** can be corrected for you and to your benefit.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4