Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My son just got a job as a merchant marine, he will be

Customer Question
My son just got...

My son just got a job as a merchant marine, he will be making approximately $71000 per year what should he have withheld?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

He is single, has student loans, does not own a house.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

He lives in maine

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
11/18/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 5 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** am reading over your inquiry. I will respond to you shortly.

As there is only a month and a half left in the year, so his taxes for 2017 should not be that much. However, moving forward, earning $71,000, based on the 2017 tax brackets, your son will be in the 25% tax bracket. The tax on the $71,000 is as follows:

Base amount: $5,226.25 + 25% of the excess over $37.950.

The excess over $37,950 = $33,050.

$8,262.50 is the amount of tax on the excess amount.

$5,226.25 + $8,262.50 = $13,488.75 - Standard Deduction amount for TY 2017($6,350).

$13,488.75 - $,6350 = $7,138.75

Because of the proposed tax changes, as of this point it is not clear what the tax brackets will be for TY 2018.

Filing single with an income amount of $71,000, $7,138.75 is the estimated tax amount. He can make estimated tax payments (divide the amount by 4 and make equal payments). Refer to the following link for more detailed information on estimated tax payments.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/estimated-taxes

---------------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant