Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My client is a foreign corp in Slovakia with no PE in the US

and does not want a...
My client is a foreign corp in Slovakia with no PE in the US and does not want a US subsidiary but would like to hire 2 US persons - what is the best way to do that?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: What more would you like to know?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No
11/17/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

If you employ US workers then your company would have to register and withhold tax for the US Treasury. U.S. citizens, resident aliens, and nonresident aliens employed within the United States by a foreign employer are generally subject to Social Security and Medicare tax withholding by the foreign employer.

On the other hand if you use self employed individuals that are in the US providing a service for your company then your company would not withhold. The individuals would report and pay their own US taxes as self employed.

Please let me know if you need me to clarify.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I understand the employment tax withholding and reporting on the US employees - does the hiring act alone create a PE for the Foreign Corp and make them subject to US Corporate income tax? Or create a PE for the Foreign Corp in the US?

It does for employment taxes but it also may for state tax. Some states see an employee as the corporation having nexus in that specific state.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I am more concerned about the foreign corporation - if it hires employees in a state that does not consider employees as nexus, does the IRS consider it a nexus and therefore makes the FC subject to filing an 1120F?

Yes, generally that would place you in a position to file the 1120F.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4