Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I had a question bc i am in a predicament. Right now I am…

Customer Question
Hello, I had a...

Hello, I had a question bc i am in a predicament

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Right now I am working with Amazon and I have my fiance as a domestic partner on my health insurance which adds a imputed tax on my paycheck

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

And right now with that tax being imputed it is making it so 18% of my paycheck goes to taxes the only way to get her off my health insurance is to have a life changing event such as marriage, a break up, ect. or to claim her on my taxes

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
11/17/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 5 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi My name's Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.

Bear with me just a moment and I’ll provide my initial response and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this

I didnt actually get to ask my question before they website made me pay 5 dollars to finish this. So as I was saying......and right now with that tax being imputed it is making it so 18% of my paycheck goes to taxes the only way to get her off my health insurance is to have a life changing event such as marriage, a break up, ect. or to claim her on my taxes. What happens to my taxes if I claim her for the year of 2017 on my taxes? How does it affect her when she goes to do her taxes? This is very important because A) it will remove the imputed taxes on my paybcheck. B) She has a daughter that she claims on her taxes. So my real question is, is claiming her on my taxes the best thing to do or not? Why?

What, exactly, is your question?

...

The first thing that comes to mind is that its POSSIBLE, (depending on her income) that you MAY be able to claim her as a dependent on your taxes.

...

You can claim a boyfriend or girlfriend as a dependent on your federal income taxes if that person meets the Internal Revenue Service's definition of a "qualifying relative."

Don't get tripped up by the word "relative" here -- according to the IRS, it can include an unrelated person who passes the four following tests concerning residency, income, support and status.

...

An individual must meet all 4 of these requirements in order to be considered your "Qualifying Relative."

1. Not a Qualifying Child: The individual cannot be your Qualifying Child and cannot be someone else's Qualifying Child. They are a Qualifying Child if they meet all the requirements, whether or not they are claimed as a dependent.
  2. Relationship: The person must either have lived with you for the entire year as a member of the household (a person who is not actually related to you may meet the requirements in this way), or be related to you in one of the following ways: your child, stepchild, grandchild or other descendant of one of your children (or stepchildren or foster children), son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, parent, stepfather, stepmother, father-in-law, mother-in-law, grandparent, and, if related by blood, aunt, uncle, niece, or nephew. Remember that a child whom you legally adopted is always considered to be your child. Also note that, for the purposes of this requirement, divorce or death does not change any relationship which was established by marriage (e.g. son-in-law, daughter-in-law, etc.)
  3. Gross Income: The person must have made less than $4,050 in gross income during 2017.
  4. Support: You must have provided more than half of the individual's total support during the year.

...

That's just a first thought ... what is your question. How can I help?

she has made more than $4,050 this year. Therefore, I cannot claim my domestic partner?
u there?
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney