Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I took over Command of a VFW which lost it's Non-Profit

Customer Question
I took over Command...

I took over Command of a VFW which lost it's Non-Profit status due to lack of filing 990 tax forms from 2007 - 2016

Accountant's Assistant: Can you tell me where the nonprofit is registered?

Pennsylvania

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We caught up and filed all the Employee Tax forms 941's which were also in the arrear for 2016 and part of 2015

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We searched for records to file the missing years, record retention so so spotty that we can't find enough to do a filing with any amount of accuracy

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/17/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If an organization has had its tax-exempt status automatically revoked and wishes to have that status reinstated, it must file an application for exemption and pay the appropriate user fee.

If the IRS determines that the organization meets the requirements for tax-exempt status, it will issue a new determination letter. The IRS also will include the reinstated organization in the next update of Exempt Organizations Select Check (Pub. 78 database), and indicate in the IRS Business Master File (BMF) extract that the organization is eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions. Donors and others may rely upon the new IRS determination letter as of its stated effective date and on the updated Exempt Organizations Select Check and BMF extract listings.

In most cases, the effective date of reinstated exemption will be the date that the organization’s exemption application was submitted to the IRS. However, organizations may choose to request that reinstatement be retroactive to the effective date of revocation. The IRS will grant retroactive reinstatement of exemption under certain limited circumstances.

Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 7 months ago

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.