Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If someone has obtained my tax return and w-2 without my

Good morning. If someone...
Good morning. If someone has obtained my tax return and w-2 without my permission as well as showing it to other people, is that legal?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was involved in a civil claim for my business. The person who loaned me the money decided he wanted his money back. I decided to just close because I didn't have the money to fight him. He obtained my tax records through his atty, his wife is now showing them to random people. Is that legal
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: i really want to know if someone can show your information without permission
11/17/2017
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

No. It's not legal.

Your tax returns contain private identifying information, and by anyone randomly sharing this information with others puts you at risk for identity theft issues if your information gets in the hands of the wrong people.

From a tax perspective, anyone that has access to your information can use that information to file a fraudulent tax return.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions/concerns. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great week and Happy Thanksgiving!

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent