Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have read where are no early distribution penalties for…

Customer Question
I have read where are...
I have read where are no early distribution penalties for early withdrawals on inherited IRAs. What if the beneficiary in under 59 1/2?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
11/15/2017
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional replied 5 months ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello!

When the taxpayer receives distributions directly from the inherited IRA, the distributions are taxed, but the 10% penalty tax on premature withdrawals does not apply, even if the beneficiary is under the age of 59 1/2 .

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc557

Here is a link to IRS Tax number 557- Additional Tax on Early distributions.

Exceptions to the additional 10% tax apply for early distributions that are:

• Made to a beneficiary or estate on account of the IRA owner's death
  • Made on account of disability
  • Made as part of a series of substantially equal periodic payments for your life (or life expectancy) or the joint lives (or joint life expectancies) of you and your designated beneficiary

The complete topic is covered under Publication 590

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590b

If the IRA was inherited from a spouse and you rolled the funds over into an IRA owned by yourself, then those distributions may be subject to the early distributions 10% penalty.

If you inherited the IRA from someone other than your spouse, then you would not be subject to the early withdraw penalty.

I would be happy to answer any follow up questions you may have. At the conclusion of our conversation please take a moment to accept the answer by rating the answer with three stars or more. A positive rating of five stars is always appreciated. Thank you!
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®