Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Im 61,lost my job in March.Im divorced since April

Im 61,lost my job...

Im 61,lost my job in March.Im divorced since April 2009,married in June 1989.My ex spouse and I never remarried,he passed away in January.Am I eligible to apply for survivor benefits? Tried to do it online and it took me to disability questions,thats not what I want .Calling is a 45 min to hour wait

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

No just wondering if survivor benefit is something I can apply for now-dont think I can wait financially past age 62-living on savings money now

Wrong Married date given,its June 1980.
11/15/2017
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The rules are:

"If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if they have remarried) if:

• You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits; and
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.

Note: Your benefit as a divorced spouse is equal to one-half of your ex-spouse's full retirement amount (or disability benefit) if you start receiving benefits at your full retirement age. The benefits do not include any delayed retirement credits your ex-spouse may receive.

If you remarry, you generally cannot collect benefits on your former spouse's record unless your later marriage ends (whether by death, divorce or annulment).

If your ex-spouse has not applied for retirement benefits, but can qualify for them, you can receive benefits on their record if you have been divorced for at least two years.

If you are eligible for retirement benefits on your own record and divorced spouse’s benefits, we will pay the retirement benefit first. If the benefit on your ex-spouse’s record is higher, you will get an additional amount on your ex-spouse’s record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount."

You cannot apply for benefits under your ex-spouse's record online. You must visit your local Social Security office.

My best advice would be to contact Social Security at 1-***-***-**** between the hours of 7:00 am and 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday to make an appointment at your local office. The Social Security representative will tell you what documents/information you need--picture ID, social security card, marriage license, divorce document, etc.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

thank you

My pleasure.

Please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you.

Thank you.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated!