Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I received a letter from the IRS stating that I owed taxes…

I received a letter from...
I received a letter from the IRS stating that I owed taxes on money that I did not claim for 2015. However, I did claim it. They are counting it twice. I submitted all evidence that I have to the IRS, in an attempt to resolve this issue, but it did not help. I then received a letter stating that I have a court date in the U.S. Tax Court. What petition do I need to file with the U.S. Tax Court?
11/15/2017
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Can you upload a copy of the letter?

Of course, remove all personal information--name, SSN, address, etc.

Thank you.

Please let me know if you are unable to view it.

Thank you. Give me a few moments.

Based on the information you uploaded, you do NOT have a Tax Court date. What you have is the opportunity to file a petition in Tax Court before the 11/21/17 deadline.

Based on the IRS notice, it appears that you did not report all of your self employment income.

Why is the IRS thinking that you received an additional $17,000?

To further clarify:I work online for an educational website. I am classified as an independent contractor. In 2015, the company I work for used Guru.com to manage their invoices and to keep track of payments issued to contractors like me. When it came time to file my taxes, I did not receive a 1099. I calculated what I had earned for that year myself. Guru.com also reported it to the IRS. The amount I reported was different from what Guru.com reported. What I reported was actually higher than what Guru.com reported. Because there were two different amounts, the IRS counted it as two separate incomes. However, this is not the case. It is the same income. They are counting it twice.I attempted to go through Legal Aid, as indicated I could do in the letter the IRS sent me, but they have not worked on my case, and I am unable to get in touch with them. I know they are overworked. However, as you can tell from the letter, my deadline to file a petition is quickly approaching.

I understand. When you realized that Guru.com had issued a 1099, a copy of which the IRS received, but you did not, did you amend your tax return to remove the incorrect amount you reported and only include the amount from the 1099?

No. I only realized that Guru.com reported a different amount than I did when the IRS sent me my initial letter.

Do you have copies of your bank/Paypal statements to show the exact amount that was deposited into your account?

What information did you provide to the IRS to prove that this income is duplicated?

I have access to my Guru.com account, showing that there was only around $17,000 credited to me during 2015, and not around $34,000 like they claim.

Did you provide that to the IRS?

I thought that would quickly resolve it, but it did not.

Did they give you an explanation?

Not really. I received the letter that I just sent to you.

You do NOT need to file a petition with the tax court for this issue.

You have two choices to get this resolved.

1. Contact a local CPA/Enrolled Agent who can assist you with disagreeing with the IRS letter and sending in an amended return to show the correct income.

2. Contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service at the number listed on Page 3 of the letter. The service is free, and they will intervene with the IRS on your behalf to get this issue resolved.

Do you want me to call you and explain it?

There is an additional fee for a phone call, but it is available if you think it would be easier.

Otherwise, we can continue here.

No I understand. Thank you so much. I really do appreciate the help.

My pleasure.

My experience has been that the IRS is NOT always correct. Actually, they are usually wrong.

In your case, if you decide to disagree with their letter and send in an amended return (Form 1040X), remember to send it by certified mail, return receipt requested, so you have proof that they received it.

If I have answered your questions, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Okay. I certainly will. Thank you again. I greatly appreciate your help and insight.

My pleasure.

Thank YOU for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated!

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions.

Enjoy the rest of your week!

I just received notification of your VERY GENEROUS BONUS. Thank you so much!