Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My 15 year old son wants to start a drop-ship store online.

Customer Question
Can he use his own...
My 15 year old son wants to start a drop-ship store online. Can he use his own social security number or does he have to be 18? Do you know how taxes work for this kind of thing? We live in California.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
11/15/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 5 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Your son may use his own SSN, however companies which provide drop-shipping service will not deal with minors.

You as a parent will need to act as his guardian.

The simplest way - if you form LLC with your son and that LLC will be acting as a partnership.

If needed your son may be 90% partner.

It costs quite a bit of money to form an LLC though? Correct? How about if he wants to do business with local businesses would he also have to have an LLC or will they work with 15 year old.

Your son may run his own business - there is no any age limitation.

There is no requirements to have an LLC - that might be a convenient way to have a separate legal entity.

But any person perfectly may run business as self-employed individual.

Yes - there is a cost associated with forming an LLC - but that should not be too much.

Let me know your state and I will verify actual cost.

The issue is that your son will not be able to have a bank account and may not sign any business contract - because he is a minor - only you as a parent may sign on behalf of your son.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor