Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Do U.S. citizens living outside the country always have to…

Customer Question
Do U.S. citizens living outside...
Do U.S. citizens living outside the country always have to pay U.S. tax?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
11/14/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 5 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

U.S. citizens (whether living in the U.S. or outside of the country) are required to report and pay tax on their WORLDWIDE income.

BUT

if a U.S. citizen lives and works outside of the U.S., he/she may be able to exclude FOREIGN EARNED INCOME for tax purposes if certain requirements are met. In other words, the income is reported on the tax return and then is excluded. For 2017, the amount that can be excluded is up to $102,100.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent