Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Taxpayer filed using actual expense method and took section…

Customer Question
Taxpayer filed using actual expense...
Taxpayer filed using actual expense method and took section 179 but wanted to use standard milege. Error made in doing the return. Can you amend a return, change from actual to mileage for 2015.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
11/14/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

You must make the choice to use the standard mileage rate by the due date (including extensions) of your return.

You can’t revoke the choice.

Thus - if your situation - the IRS will reject that amendment and the taxpayer will be forced to use actual car expenses for deduction purposes.

Please elaborate if needed.

OK, so the actual method is in use, cannot amend, when can you change to standard mileage from actual expense method?
14 November 2017 03:56
hello?

For the first year - that choice (to use the standard mileage rate) is limited by the due date (including extensions) of your return.

If you want to use the standard mileage rate for a car you own, you must choose to use it in the first year the car is available for use in your business.

If such choice was not made - in later years, you will not be able to use the standard mileage rate.

Sorry if you expected differently.

ok

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 7 months ago

Please let me know if that addressed all your concerns.
Let me know if you have any further questions?