Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My wife, son, and I have been living in California and have…

Customer Question
My wife, son, and I...
My wife, son, and I have been living in California and have filed joint federal and CA income tax returns for 2014, 2015, and 2016. During those years I was the only income earner and via W-2 wages.
I purchased a house in Texas on January 10, 2017 and have been running an IT consulting business from that location. This IT consulting business income was our only income during 2017 and I estimate it will be about $200K by year-end.
I lived in my house in Texas for 185 days during the year but my wife and child stayed in California. I do have a Texas Drivers License and have paid the real estate and utility bills during the year (and have proof).
Since I have lived in Texas for more than 1/2 of this year can I use that address as our primary residence on our joint federal tax return and do I still have to pay California state income tax even though that state is no longer my primary residence and I earned no income from California? Does the fact that my son goes to public school in California put me on California's radar screen for a state income tax audit?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
11/14/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 5 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** am prepping my response. I will get back to you shortly.

While you can use the Texas address as your primary address, for tax purposes you are considered a part year resident for TX and a part year resident for California and you will still need to complete a California state tax return. To be on the safe side, make sure that you have officially established your domicile in Texas before claiming that you are a resident there. Refer to the following link for more detailed information on establishing your residency in another state for tax purposes.

https://gardinercpa.com/2017/05/establishing-residency-for-state-tax-purposes/

--------------------------------------

How California taxes residents, nonresidents, and part-year residents

• California residents - Taxed on ALL income, including income from sources outside California.
  • Nonresidents of California - Taxed only on income from California sources.
  • Part-year residents of California - Taxed on all income received while a resident and only on income from California sources while a nonresident.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/filertn/nonresidents-part-year-residents.shtml

Q: Does the fact that my son goes to public school in California put me on California's radar screen for a state income tax audit?

A: Not necessarily because it is not unusual for a taxpayer and their spouse to live in different cities and the dependent can live with the spouse.

---------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant