Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If lease payments are being taken as a tax deduction can the

mileage method be used to...
If lease payments are being taken as a tax deduction can the mileage method be used to account for other expenses? Or are you required to use actual expenses?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

If you lease a car you use in business, you may not deduct both lease costs and the standard mileage rate. You may either:

• Deduct the standard mileage rate for the business miles driven. If you choose this method, you must use the standard mileage rate method for the entire lease period (including renewals).
  • Claim actual expenses, which would include lease payments. If you choose this method, only the business-related portion of the lease payment is deductible.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4