Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My sister made me the sole beneficiary of a $257,000 IRA.

Customer Question
My sister made me...

My sister made me the sole beneficiary of a $257,000 IRA. Because of a paperwork glitch the IRA has to be included as part of my sister's estate. We have a estate EIN. How much will the taxes be on $257,000?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

The total estate value is $360000.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
11/14/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 8 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** am prepping my response. I will get back to you shortly.

I take it that the IRA was cashed out. If this is the case, the $257,000 is taxable as ordinary income. If there is no other income and if filing status is single, the tax bracket for the $257,000 is 33%. You can refer to the following link for the tax bracket breakdown.

https://taxfoundation.org/2017-tax-brackets/

---------------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.