Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I invested in Bit Coin and I put in 10K, now I want to take

out my 10K will I...
I invested in Bit Coin and I put in 10K, now I want to take out my 10K will I be taxed on the portion i invested?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: If you are investing, do you have to pay tax on the monies you are investing?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
11/14/2017
Chad CFP ®
Chad CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I will be able to assist you today.

The IRS treats bit coin as a Capital Asset and therefore you are taxed on gains and losses as any other capital asset.

Capital gains are reported using Schedule D of the 1040

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

Here is a link to the IRS Notice 2014-21 which speaks about how to treat the bitcoin for tax purposes.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-14-21.pdf

SECTION 4. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS Q-1: How is virtual currency treated for federal tax purposes?

A-1: For federal tax purposes, virtual currency is treated as property. General tax principles applicable to property transactions apply to transactions using virtual currency

If you do have any further questions please let me know!

Any gains or losses would be after you subtract your initial investment of $10,000

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
    does that mean I won't be taxed on my original $10,000?

Exactly!

Your original investment of $10,000 is a return of your principal. You then either claim a gain or loss depending on what you received back in USD for you original investment.

For example: If you received $11,000 then you had a capital gain of $1,000

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
    Ok, that is what I was wondering, If I pulled out my original investment of $10,000 and left the gains in bit coins, I just wanted to make sure that I won't be taxed on it.
    Customer reply replied 1 month ago
    Thanks again, have a great day!

Just make sure that you keep the transaction receipts and also note on the receipts that the withdraw was a return of your principal or initial investment.

Have a great day!

Chad CFP ®
    Chad CFP ®
    Chad CFP ®