Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am completing my I cane taxes for 2014-2016. Beginning in…

Customer Question
I am completing my I...
I am completing my I cane taxes for 2014-2016. Beginning in 2014, I became an active manager of my real estate portfolio as defined by the IRS, while maintaining a corporate job with w2 income.As I understand it, my real estate losses will now be active and can be applied in the fiscal year. Is the limit to my refund tied to the taxes paid out from the w2 income?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
11/14/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 7 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

In order to be able to offset your W-2 income, you need to meet two requirements in order to qualify for the tax benefits of being a real estate professional.

The Requirements are:

1. Spend more time in real estate activities than other “non-real estate” business activities combined.
  2. Spend at least 750 hours per year in real estate activities.

Please note that both requirements must be met in order to be designated as a real estate professional in the eyes of the IRS.

The following link contains excellent information you will find helpful:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/can-you-deduct-your-rental-losses.html

Please let me know I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

I understand your answer. My question was now that my real estate activity is active losses, will those go against my taxes that were withheld in my w2 income and is there a limit to how much refund I can get back? I’m assuming it’s limited to the amount of taxes paid in w2.

The losses will offset your INCOME not the taxes you paid.

But if taxes were withheld based upon my w2 income and my losses lower my overall income I will get a refund correct? Is there a limit to the amount of the refund?

That's correct. You will receive a refund. There is no limitation on refund amounts.

Ok, thank you. I️ asked about the limit because the software I am using capped the refund at $50k.

Can you upload a screen shot of what you are seeing?

You’ll see that no matter how much losses I put in I’m capped at $50k refund

You uploaded the mortgage interest deduction page

My wife and I paid approximately $48k in federal taxes that year between her and my w2 income. It would make sense if the refund capped at the amount of taxes we paid but seems strange to cap at an even $50k

I cannot see what you're seeing or how you answered the interview questions.

I will opt out so another expert can assist you.

Tax Professional: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 7 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Let me jump in here and see if we can solve this mystery.

Unless you have some refundable credits, your refund is limited to the total of the payments you've made. In addition to federal withholding, payments can include a variety of other items including excess social security taxes. Please look at page 2 of your form 1040 for 2014 and compare the figures on lines 64 and 74. If line 74 is larger, the difference should show up on one or more of the lines from 65 to 73.

Also: becoming a "real estate professional" requires "material participation" as to each rental activity, unless you make an election pursuant to Section 469(c)(7) to treat all activities as one. Be prepared to demonstrate to the IRS how you meet the criteria for material participation as this is one of their high value targets for examination.

Let me know if you need more info; also let me know how your figures came out. Thanks.