Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I want to merge two C corporations in Michigan. I am the…

Customer Question
I want to merge...

I want to merge two C corporations in Michigan. I am the only shareholder in both. The one I want to merge into the other has a net operating loss. Can I carry this over to the remaining corporation?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have a net operating loss in the corporation to be ended and I want to know what will happen to that loss

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
11/14/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 5 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

IRC Section 382 limits the amount of income that the NOL corporation may offset by the use of its pre-change NOL carryforward when the ownership change.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/382

As there is no ownership change in your proposed merger - NOL is not limited and may be fully used by the new created corporation.

Let me know if that answered your question.

How would I reflect this nol on the tax federal tax return? Just show it as an nol in the year it was created in the other corporation?

You must attach a statement that shows all the important facts about the NOL.

Your statement should include a computation showing how you figured the NOL deduction.

If you deduct more than one NOL in the same year, your statement must cover each of them.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor